Home News Former Scunthorpe steelworker dies from mesothelioma

Former Scunthorpe steelworker dies from mesothelioma

A Scunthorpe ex-steelworker has died of mesothelioma at age 93. An inquest clarifies that Mr Robert Spencer was exposed to the deadly asbestos related disease whilst he worked at the Appleby-Frodingham works from 1937 as an apprentice boilermaker, before moving to the loco repair shop, stripping down motors. Robert then joined the navy and returned to the steelworks in 1945 as an engineer before he moved to Redpath Dorman Long repairing blast furnaces.

Before Mr Spencer passed away, he wrote a statement declaring that he was exposed to asbestos on a regular basis over the years. He also said that his health was great until he reached his 80s when he suffered two large heart attacks. Of his time repairing blast furnaces, he said: “It was extremely dusty work and our hair and clothes would be covered. We would shower after work.”

The coroner informed that his death was due to the industrial disease mesothelioma. The report found that asbestos fibres were present in both of Robert’s lungs.

Don’t accept the risk that undiscovered asbestos in your property poses, learn more about R B Asbestos Consultants.

Former Scunthorpe steelworker dies from mesothelioma
2015-11-16T11:07:30+00:00
R B Absestos