Home News Pensioner dies of mesothelioma from washing clothes 50 years ago

Pensioner dies of mesothelioma from washing clothes 50 years ago

IMG_4333_4_52An all too familiar story shows how a lady aged 69 has died from mesothelioma after washing clothes covered in asbestos.

Janet Sibley, a retired doctor’s receptionist, died on April 25 at Southampton General hospital after struggling with mesothelioma.
Winchester Coroner’s Court heard how she may have come into contact with asbestos from washing her father’s clothes during the ’60s when he worked at the docks.
She also washed her husband’s David Sibley’s clothes which may have also been covered with asbestos.

Mr Sibley told the hearing he worked at a chemical plant in Gosport where he was exposed to the deadly substance from 1989 to 2004.
Senior coroner Grahame Short recorded a verdict of death due to industrial disease.

This is a story that is all too familiar. Asbestos is still out there and can be a hazard to people who come into contact on a secondary basis, like Janet did.
Workers don’t expect their dangers at work to affect their loved ones at home, but asbestos can.

Don’t take the risk without asbestos awareness training and a survey. Protect yourself and people around you.

Arrange the following with R B Asbestos Consultants.

For any information on Asbestos Awareness Training and Asbestos Surveys, give us a call on 0800 141 2676

 

Pensioner dies of mesothelioma from washing clothes 50 years ago
2016-07-12T12:08:47+00:00
R B Absestos